Water, water everywhere
I was so bummed that I didn't get to go to Shalini Kantayya's fundraiser for her film, A Drop of Life last weekend in Mill Valley with Van Jones. I had every intention to get there, but costs to make changes to re-route my ticket were unexpectedly too high. I was so certain I would be there, but it seemed like the universe had bigger plans for me to stay home with family and friends in DC after my sister's wedding. (I know this disappointed my Bay Area friends-so just know I'll make it up to you all!)
I just got the Drop of Life DVD, however, and I am looking forward to sharing it with everyone I know here in Honolulu! The compelling story is about two women: a village teacher in rural India and an African American corporate executive, whose lives intersect when they are both confronted with lack of access to clean drinking water.
Living on an island, the piece has challenged me to rethink my water consumption and even the act of buying bottled water and watering our garden. I have been inspired to find ways to link with other efforts and draw connections with water and women's healing.
Palma Vizzoni (who I had also connected with at the Storyfield conference earlier in August) had shared her link to Gemma Bulos who does work on water in the Philippines through the group, A Single Drop For Safe Water. I finally got around to checking out Gemma's website and was amazed at her creative efforts to create an international million voice chorus to raise global awareness about water! Gemma also does other workshops for youth about water. I would encourage educators to check out both these resources as they give a unique and accessible lense to a topic we all can easily get overwhelmed by. A big mahalos to these amazing women!
Their work definately motivated me to check out issues of water in my own backyard and I went to the City and County Hawaii Board of Water Supply site to start learning more. I can't help but think what toxins might be leaching into our water source with the presence of the military here and the trace chemicals left from bombing excercises.
Lastly, with water on the mind, just want to give extra big props to those who have been holding the Hawaii Super Ferry interests accountable and their feet to the fire. I watched the utube footage again of swimmers and surferers who took to the water at Nawiliwili Harbor in September to stop this environmental disaster. And again, I am moved by the collective passion of people to protect the aina. This is the latest from here.
I just got the Drop of Life DVD, however, and I am looking forward to sharing it with everyone I know here in Honolulu! The compelling story is about two women: a village teacher in rural India and an African American corporate executive, whose lives intersect when they are both confronted with lack of access to clean drinking water.
Living on an island, the piece has challenged me to rethink my water consumption and even the act of buying bottled water and watering our garden. I have been inspired to find ways to link with other efforts and draw connections with water and women's healing.
Palma Vizzoni (who I had also connected with at the Storyfield conference earlier in August) had shared her link to Gemma Bulos who does work on water in the Philippines through the group, A Single Drop For Safe Water. I finally got around to checking out Gemma's website and was amazed at her creative efforts to create an international million voice chorus to raise global awareness about water! Gemma also does other workshops for youth about water. I would encourage educators to check out both these resources as they give a unique and accessible lense to a topic we all can easily get overwhelmed by. A big mahalos to these amazing women!
Their work definately motivated me to check out issues of water in my own backyard and I went to the City and County Hawaii Board of Water Supply site to start learning more. I can't help but think what toxins might be leaching into our water source with the presence of the military here and the trace chemicals left from bombing excercises.
Lastly, with water on the mind, just want to give extra big props to those who have been holding the Hawaii Super Ferry interests accountable and their feet to the fire. I watched the utube footage again of swimmers and surferers who took to the water at Nawiliwili Harbor in September to stop this environmental disaster. And again, I am moved by the collective passion of people to protect the aina. This is the latest from here.
Comments