Between A lot and C lot

I wrote this poem two years ago and just found it as I was preparing to work on my play in progress, My Body-My Space.

I am sharing it here as a reminder to myself of the personal work that continues and the political that is forever tied to the loving acceptance of our Pinay bodies. I use it now as a call to channel my own creative power. I remind myself that this overwhelming energy and passion that comes through me now-- must not be suppressed, nor simply allowed to run amok, but be used for something higher.

Between A lot and C lot.

Nanay, Lola, Apo, Manang, Tita:

Look! Down there…
Between a lot and c lot
The kalachuchis of pek-pek liberation
are blooming. Bilats-pukis-pipits-pukengkengs-Opening wide
Flowering tongues are telling truth. Bursting through centuries of censure:
Uki. Uki. Uki. Uki ni nam….
We are airing out old closets. Cutting double cords around our necks
Sharing secrets of survival
Whispering that we actually do like con-sensual sex
And all the while laughing, laughing, laughing
Turning poison into medicine.
Peeling, peeling, opening to the juicy forbidden fruit
Feeding ourselves.
Feeding our anak.
so they may never be cursed with shame again

Come. Come. Come with us.
Halina kayo


November 14, 2005

Comments

Popular Posts